Saturday, March 28, 2015

What is REALLY Important?

Taking time for the important things.Oswego Sunset, March 28, 2015





     Do you ever get overwhelmed by all the diddly, piddling little things we have to do to maintain organization in our lives? I do, I admit it. 

Today I took the time to dust the cobwebs from the ceilings and walls. I vacuumed everywhere.

Today I also hugged my daughter.  Again and again.

Today I took the time to clean off and redecorate the mantle.

Today I had a heart to heart conversation with my good friend.

Today I made sure to clean my kitchen windows, the mirrors in the entryway and the glass on the coffee table.

Today while taking the garbage cans in I spoke with my newly widowed neighbor, assuring him we were right across the street if he needed anything.

Today I cleaned the the shelves in my refrigerator.

Today I sat with my beautiful mother, coaxing her to eat so she can build up her strength to return home.

Today I did not get everything done on my to do list. I didn't make my bed or do enough laundry. I only graded half my papers. I felt a little frustrated and unproductive.

However, today as I was driving home I looked at the sunset and realized something. In the twilight of the evening while the sun was setting, I could say to myself: "Today I did the really important things. I expressed love, fostered friendship, and showed caring."

If you did one of these things today, consider yourself a success. 


10 comments:

  1. There is something about cleaning those refrigerator shelves that always gives me a sense of success. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice slice. And thanks for closing with those encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful and important slice. You did the important things! And realizing that you should should feel great. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you made your point through contrasting the cleaning jobs you did with the important work of connecting with those around you. Great idea for writing about such an important thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you made your point through contrasting the cleaning jobs you did with the important work of connecting with those around you. Great idea for writing about such an important thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many important things accomplished and some not so important things checked off the list too. You had a very productive day! I love your comment at the end, if we "..expressed love, fostered friendship, and showed caring..." we can consider ourselves a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have been an "or" not an "and." Love how you said that doing one of those things made for a successful day.

      Delete
  7. Colleen,
    I really love the way you combined the things we need to get done with those little moments that matter much. Time with those we love does matter.

    The structure of your piece really helped demonstrate the way we balance our responsibilities and the things that matter most.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the juxtaposition of the lines -- the way you had to balance the things you needed to do versus the ones you wanted to spend time with. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have had this beautiful sunset at the end of a really productive day! Productivity takes all forms & you certainly made the most of your day connecting with those you love and those that love you! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete