Thursday, March 12, 2015

I Called 911 Today

     I called 911 today. 

     4:30 PM
     Yup. So I was thinking of making chocolate chip cookies, and in the blink of an eye, everything changed. I got a call from my Dad. 
     
      5:00 PM
     "I don't think we are going to be able to make it over after all, honey," he said. "I want to take your Mum home because I am worried about her. I think I might check her in to urgent care. She is wheezing and sounds raspy." I could hear the worry in his voice.  Although he didn't ask, I knew he wanted me to drive up to be with him and my mom.  So I did. I wolfed down a meatball, ran to work to get my sunglasses, bought a cup of coffee, and got on the road.

     6:00 PM
     When I got to their house, it didn't take long to determine we really needed to get her to the hospital. So we made the call to 911. 
      
     6:30 PM
     I have to say, they came pretty fast, and were efficient and gentle getting Mom into the ambulance. We followed behind, and waiting in the emergency area while they took care of my mother.  

     7:30 PM 
     Diagnosis?
     Pneumonia.

     8:00 PM
     By this time they'd taken a chest x-ray and were getting ready to take a CT scan as well. And really, rather ridiculously, the technician asked with a straight face if my 85 year old mother was pregnant or nursing. Supposedly they need to ask these questions, but really? 

     9:10 PM 
     Waiting for a room. Don't really want to share too much about the indignities  a person is put through. That's just a little too private. It sure is an incentive to do as much as one can to stay healthy. 

     Waiting
     Waiting
     Waiting
     
     11:10 PM  
     So, we are almost ready to get mom into a room.
     And I am going to pray.
     Love you, Mom
     
   

9 comments:

  1. "...in the blink of an eye everything changed." Hope the waiting is over soon and she's in a room. Glad you were available to help out. Praying for her, your dad, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. And thanks for hanging in there with me everyday. I am very appreciative of your comments.

      Delete
  2. I understand the waiting. Sending prayers for you and your family. May joy and health be restored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you could be there with them both - and lend your support, show your love, etc. etc. Sending a get well soon wish off to your mom, and a get some sleep wish for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family. Modern healthcare is a blessing, but it doesn't make the waiting in the hospital any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family. Modern healthcare is a blessing, but it doesn't make the waiting in the hospital any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your mother gets better.

    ReplyDelete