Sunday, March 1, 2015

Extraordinary Event

     Having grown up in the Northeast, and dealt with all manner of snow more times than I can count, I am no stranger to its fickleness. But nothing, NOTHING  had prepared me for the sight that greeted me last Friday morning. I was taking my daughter to school for an early morning rendezvous with a bus that was to take her to NYC. On this particular morning I was reminded that no matter how old or jaded we become, there is wonder and beauty yet to be appreciated and discovered. 

     We got up very early - 5 am - to get ready for the day.  Bustling to get ready, we spoke in hushed voices. We ate breakfast and checked the weather again for NYC, and I reminded my daughter for the millionth time to be careful, stay with the group and to keep in touch. 

     Then I dashed out into the bitter cold to start the van and let the engine warm up a few minutes. By this time it was about 5:45 , and morning was creeping into the sky, lightening it into shades of indigo and dark blue. "Time to leave," my daughter said excitedly. 

    Outside, our boots made that distinctive squeaky- crunch sound that you only hear at extreme temperatures. It took both of us to get her suitcase into the car as we didn't want to drag it in the snow. All was quiet on our out-of-the-way street as we backed out of the driveway. The snow that was built up around our tires, groaned loudly as I angled the van onto the street.

    Amazingly, the most beautiful sight greeted our eyes. It was like we were traveling down a wintertime road to heaven. The snow banks were almost as high as the van, and the rest of the world around us was dusted white. But the best part was the snow that blanketed the road. As it was so early, no one else had marred its beauty with tire tracks or foot prints. It sparkled and glistened like millions of tiny diamonds catching the first bits of light. I slowed the van to a crawl as we remarked on the unbelievable sight. 

     "How gorgeous is that!" I exclaimed. "I've never seen anything like it in all my years."

     "It's a good omen for my trip, Mom," she said.

     "Soak it in, honey," I advised. "Close your eyes and take a memory picture of this sight because you may never experience it again." 


     The events of the universe had to come together just perfectly for us to witness the ordinary become extraordinary. I don't know if I will ever see such a sight again - perhaps - but I do know that I was blessed to experience it with my daughter. I also know I will be sure to give thanks for whatever next amazing experience is around my corner.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lovely description you gave! The pacing was so great, I felt like I was in the backseat, peering around your head so I could see too!

    I almost wish you would have taken a picture to share, but then again, I don't really need one with that description. Beautiful!

    Welcome to our Slicing community, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a wondrous thing about a fresh, yet to be touched, snowfall. You did a fabulous job describing this incredible moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a wondrous thing about a fresh, yet to be touched, snowfall. You did a fabulous job describing this incredible moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "memory picture" you told your daughter to take. We indeed can find beauty everywhere, provided we slow down to look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special moment with your daughter. These are the important things in our lives. I love how you saw the unpaved road as a thing of beauty, not an obstacle or a challenge. I hope she was right and it was a good omen for her trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a wondrous thing about a fresh, yet to be touched, snowfall. You did a fabulous job describing this incredible moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An exquisite depiction of a never-to-be forgotten morning. I've always lived in areas where snow is a rare occurence, not the order of the day. Love the image of a wintertime road to heaven and these words " It sparkled and glistened like millions of tiny diamonds catching the first bits of light." Welcome to our slicing community. I love the title of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your words painted such a vivid picture. I could see my street the exact way you described yours. I am not a fan of the snow in general and definitely not of driving in the snow specifically, but there is something special about being the first to mar the surface of a new snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colleen, I am so impressed with the scenes that you create for your reader. This one was captured so well that I am wondering what type of a story will come next. I could lift many lines from your text that resonated with me, all similar to Ramona's thoughts. I am so glad that we are now Twitter buddies.

    ReplyDelete