Sunday, March 15, 2015

I've Got My Game On

If teenagers reside in your abode,
You can probably relate to the feeling ,
Of being about to explode.

That’s not to say they aren’t sweet and dear,
When not moody and cranky,
They are full of good cheer.

Today with dinner on the stove in good time,
I was once again reminded,
Change takes place at the drop of a dime.

My feet were encased in nice cushy socks,
Recouping from a day on shoes,
that felt like hard pointy rocks.

Decked out in my sweats nice and comfy,
With my hair pulled back,
I didn’t even mind that I probably looked frumpy!

At that moment my son called me up and said
“Mom, didn't you know?
I have a basketball game tonight. “

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked,
As I gave him THE LOOK,
He said, “I forgot”
Or so he claimed!

I finished dinner quickly,
With hardly any time to eat
Back on came the day clothes
THAT was quite a feat.
A little lipstick
A little blush
Gave me the second wind I needed so much.

“Ok baby, I’ve got my game on,” I said.

We hurried to the car,
He drove, I sat,
And using  SIRI to navigate,
Arrived without mishap.

My son exited the car,
All ready to play,
Entering the building he looked back at me
And smiled,

“Don’t worry Mom, I‘ve got my game on!”













3 comments:

  1. As did you; as did you.
    Even though I have littles -- 5 and 2 -- I feel like our house is always on the verge of explosion, like you so aptly describe here. I felt the achiness of your feet and the disappointment at preparing dinner without time to ultimately eat it. So many powerful moments in this piece; excellent word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As did you; as did you.
    Even though I have littles -- 5 and 2 -- I feel like our house is always on the verge of explosion, like you so aptly describe here. I felt the achiness of your feet and the disappointment at preparing dinner without time to ultimately eat it. So many powerful moments in this piece; excellent word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I feel your pain, and I applaud your ability to climb back into clothes and shoes from cushy socks and comfy sweats. Love the wordplay between you and your son!

    ReplyDelete